Saturday, January 31, 2009

Mild OCD

Our TV volume goes between 0 and 100. With that kind of resolution, the sound difference between one number up or down is inaudible to me. And I am starting to notice that I am a little bit nuts.
Whenever I turn the volume up or down (I am embarassed to admit) there are preferences that I have for the volume number. I'm not talking about how loud it is; I am actually talking about the number...

I don't like to land on odd numbers. There are two exceptions: 5 is alright because that is half of 10 -I can tollerate that. And if an odd number makes a double, like 33 or 77, I can live with it -but just barely.

For example, if I turn the volume to somewhere in the 70's, I am happy with 70, 72, 74, 76, and 78. I can deal with 75 and 77. But I won't leave it on 71, 73, or 79.


Is there anyone out there that can relate to this?

-John

11 comments:

The Nelson Family said...

I think its nuts that you don't round to the nearest ten!- Dani

TAITx3 said...

Your just weird, but I love ya.

Justin Hoffman said...

I cope with this by having our TV plugged into a set of speakers that have their own volume control -- TV can be whatever number I want but I can still change the volume

Priests By Name said...

This is even scarier than the fortunes that I got today at China Garden. Am I related to you?

Susu said...

The following people can relate to your plight:
Vincent Van Gogh
Rainman
Sam Gimlick

The Nelson Family said...

How do you know who Sam Gimlick is???

Carol and Dan said...

HOW DO YOU KNOW SAM GIMLICK!?!

Carol and Dan said...

John, this entry has established for me that we truely are related (although I'm not sure why I didn't get 1/10th of the brains or 1/4 of the creativity you got!). I, also, have issues with odd numbers. I also can find some kind of resolve if the odd numbers are multiples of 5 or double numbers. I hated our wedding anniversary date because it is 11/23/01. Then I figured out they are all prime numbers, so I made peace with it (my appologies to Danielle Nelson and Petey Aron. who have this as a birthdate). I have always been fond of my birthdate which is 10/25/75 because they are all multiples of 5. So, as you would expect, I have issues with Amya's birthdate, 2/9/07! I mean, an even, then an odd and another odd! Sorry John, if I have just clued you in on your own misfortune.....2/9/78!!! THAT'S WORSE!!!
p.s. I like the volume to be on 22.
p.p.s. for any of you who didn't realise it before, YES, I'M CRAZY!
....................c.

Anonymous said...

I am still curious about how Suria knows SAM

Chris Ann said...

I LOVE numbers and I do not even have an issue with odd or even but I do keep track until all of our kids are even or odd ages each year. I do not have peace until all are the same like right now,you are off. I always look at numbers, Kadence has the best birthday 7/6/5 cool. I see my number on the cloock all the time 4/21 it talks to me and makes me look I swear.

Susu said...

I do not know Sam Gimlick but just asked Bryce to help me list off a few people who were a little nuts!