Sunday, August 23, 2009

Danielle's lastest life-revamp/ weightloss/ healthy scheme..


So, I have decided to turn our cultural idea of meals upside-down a bit and see how it goes.
Traditionally the meat is the main course, or some sort of carb that contains meat. What I am trying is building the meals and daily diet around vegetables, making the meat and carbs the sides.
I usually fast on Wednesdays, but this last Wednesday I ate all veggies and it was great. I have dedcided to carry the veggies into our everyday life.
Example 1: Wednesday Dinner
Spring rolls dipped in Thai peanut sauce (my favorite)
buttery baked endives (had never tried endives before, and don't know how to pronounce it)
baked acorn squash
baked tomatoes

My favorite new snack: carrot sticks dipped in hummus, and Willow loves it!!!
I noticed that my mindset also helps me find healthier options for the kids. They have been loving peaches.

This may be common-practice for you guys, but veggies are not a usual for me. To me its a fun new challenge. So far a very yummy one. I hope this one sticks, but everything always seems so easy, new and cool at first. I hope to make this one a lasting life-style.

6 comments:

Carol and Dan said...

Sounds good to me!!! :)
I know what you mean about it being hard to stick to, because we tend to get stuck in our traditions. But think of it like this...This could be your kids' tradition. Enough years of this, and they will think this is "the norm" (it may be too late for us...I still think of chips and dip as the ideal dinner!) I support you 100%!
By the way, that meal looks absolutely delicious!!! I've always wanted to know how to make spring rolls...can you do a post about that?..........c.
p.s. I believe it is pronounced
en (like "end") - dive (like diving into the water)

Unknown said...

Hey, that is all well and good. The more veggies the better but the roots are in the pyramid. Hit the servings (actual sizes... not what you think is a serving). Don't count out all carbs/meats or you'll be sick a lot unless you do your research on being a vegetarian.

A little fats
2-3 Meat (3-4 oz. serving)
6-8 Veggies (one piece is a serving... close enough)
6-10 Grains (1 slice of bread is a serving, etc.)

They taught us in HS... ask me quesetions as needed.

TAITx3 said...

Great advise Dean. Love the meal. LOOOVe spring rolls. One of my favs.
Good luck with the healthy lifestyle. I find that portion control is the only thing that really works for me.... and you can eat whatever the heck you want! Ever since i've learned how to eat small portions (not go for back for seconds and such.) I lost weight and it stays off!

The Nelson Family said...

i find it easier not to eat at all than to eat small amounts. It's like telling an alcoholic he has to have one drink five times a day. We both end up indulging ourselves beyond recommendation.

Chris Ann said...

I love food so much that it is "fun" to eat small portions all day long every 3 hrs or so. Hey Carol chips and dip were NEVER dinner just Friday night snack. I used vegies as the main course all summer when we had a garden supplementing with eggs,cheese,and ground beef or venison from the back yard.

Carol and Dan said...

Mom, I never said that you served chips and dip for dinner. But i wished you would have!......c.